RATS! More Rules Changes…
On January 1, 2013 the PMRA (Pest Management Regulatory Association) implemented new sweeping changes to the way we use rodenticides.
Some products were removed from the market and others had their means of use changed.
Since April 2007, the PMRA has received 140 reports of incidents (accidental poisonings) involving the use of rodenticides.
So now, homeowners will only be able to purchase one-time use, pre baited bait stations! But agriculturalists have bigger concerns …
In very brief:
- ALL rodenticides are to be used only in Locked and Secured, tamper-proof stations
- Only certain rodenticides are to be used in outdoor stations (bromidiolone is the only second generation anti coagulant registered for use outdoors).
- Pellet baits will be discontinued. Pre packs of baits are ONLY to be used in attics.
- All stations (indoor or outdoor)must have exterior identification markings noting which rodenticide is being used inside
- Old ” T ” style PVC outdoor stations, popular home made units widely used in the agricultural industry….. ARE ILLEGAL!!!
- Exterior baiting of holes only legal if covered in after baiting
We are trying to inform and educate the agricultural industry before agriculturalists are FINED $$ by MOE/PMRA inspectors !! Before Outdoor baiting is ABOLISHED.
This PMRA initiative is going to be watched closely by PMRA officials over the next few years.
If the PMRA is not happy with the way people have changed their use of rodenticides, if people DO NOT obey the new rules…If WE DO NOT MAKE OURSELVES HEARD
The PMRA will REMOVE ALL OUTDOOR USE OF ALL RODENTICIDES by 2016
This means we will ONLY be able to control Rats and Mice AFTER they have already entered our structures !!
Not Easy, Not Effective, Costly $$$….Damages to structures will already have occurred, food and feed already contaminated, etc…
Proper use of outdoor baiting will KEEP THIS AN OPTION !!!
Think about this:
- Rats and Mice are the first and second most destructive vertebrate on earth.
- They cost, in the US, 1 billion dollars in damages each year.
- They destroy 20% of the crops worldwide
- They are carriers of more then 200 serious diseases.
- They are responsible for more than 25% of fires in farmhouses and barns.
- In one year, a single Rat can eat more than 7-10 kgs of grain and contaminate more than 100 kgs with urine and feces.
Get Educated, Get the Word Out, Be Smart and comply with the new rules…
Before we have no more choices left.